Thursday, December 9, 2010

Week 5

On Tuesday morning (Nov 9), I had a translation test in my French class. I hadn't really prepared for it in any way since I figured there wasn't really any way I could prepare for it, and there were definitely some things that I didn't know how to translate, but I felt ok about it anyway. My afternoon was consumed with the class I have every week that I really don't enjoy. It's such a taxing class. The material is so boring that it takes all the effort I have to stay awake through the class, and I always feel completely exhausted by the time it's finished.

On Tuesday evening, I tried to get through the readings that I was supposed to do for my Wednesday morning seminar, but since it's the seminar for my least favourite class (and I was attempting to read in the living room), it was pretty much a fail. A bunch of my flatmates and I (plus some extras) watched The Lion King with the projector we have in our living room. It was really fun.

On Wednesday, I suffered through my seminar, then ran around a bit, setting up my UK bank account, and buying junk food (chips and cheese! chocolate!) and a giant poster (for my room), before heading home to start waiting for the groceries that I ordered online (that could come anywhere between 12 and 8). Stef and her friend headed off to London for a few days of sightseeing.

This poster takes up pretty much my whole wall. If you look closely, you can see a bulletin board sticking out from underneath there!


Since it was November 10, I decided that it would be a good time to start drawing a picture of my old dog because the anniversary of his death was coming up on the 15th. I did some work on it, but even 2 years since his death, I was still getting pretty emotional, so I had to break away from it a couple times.

The progress I made that day.


That afternoon, one of my housemates (Ash) came downstairs and suggested that we should use the projector more, so I suggested that we watch a movie right then and there. He brought down his laptop and speakers (that used to perpetually keep me awake with their massive bass beats filtering through my ceiling), and we set everything up in the living room, and figured out how to work the projector. Then we watched Inception. He had already seen it, but I quite enjoyed it, and the couple extra housemates that filtered in near the end were just very confused because they hadn't seen it before either.

I didn't get my groceries until about 6:30, and for the rest of that evening I didn't do much other than work on my sketch, which of course ended up making me really sad again. I woke up sad on Thursday because I had gone to sleep sad, so Thursday was just a hard day to get through. Luckily, my last class of the day was my French seminar, and my tutor for that happens to be a rather crazy old man. Someone had used a non-white board marker on the board, so he couldn't erase it, and when he started trying to use the spray to take it off, he just ended up making giant blue smears across the whole board. Then he sent a girl to the washroom to get some toilet paper to wipe the board down. The whole situation was just so ridiculous that everyone in the class was laughing and giggling like mad, and I had tears streaming down my face. It was just the kind of emotional release that I had been needing, so I felt a lot better afterward.

That evening, I watched the first episode of Arrested Development with a couple of my housemates, and then I was so tired that I ended up taking a nap. When I woke up from my nap, a couple of the guys had just started playing the movie Perfume, so I watched it with them. It was incredibly strange, and not particularly enjoyable, and the only one of us who really liked it was Alex because he had chosen it.

On Friday I had my usual classes, and then in the evening, I met up with my American friend who hadn't gone to London, and we went to this International event that was being put on in one of the college bars. There was supposed to be entertainment, but it was very sporadic, and difficult to get a good view of,so we mostly just spent our time in front of the chocolate fountain, eating pancakes and donuts and whatnot dripping with chocolate. The two performances that we did sort of see were a belly dance and a hip-hop dance. After the second dance, we got our last fill of chocolate and then decided to leave. We came back to my house to chat for a while before she went home and I went to bed in order to get up early for my trip to York the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment