Wednesday, December 8, 2010

More of Lancaster

On Wednesday (Oct 20), I went to my class in the morning and then came home for a bit. My flatmate Stef and I went to Lancaster that afternoon on the free bus that takes students to the grocery store. We didn't go grocery shopping though. We went to one store and tried a ton of shoes on (but didn't buy anything), and looked in a bunch of other stores. I bought a wig for my Halloween costume, and some tissues from one of the market vendors. We also walked up to the castle and although we didn't go in, we got a few nice photos.





We met up with some other girls and all went to see the movie "The Social Network". I bought a huge popcorn, nachos and drink because I was really hungry by that point, and I shared most of the popcorn (which was sweet instead of salty and buttery). I quite enjoyed the movie.

After the movie, we stopped to get some food and groceries before we came home. A bunch of my housemates and their friends were going to the infamous Carleton that night (which had rave as the dress-up theme), but we decided to forgo that option and drink some tea instead.

Thursday was jam-packed with lots of class time (well, lots in terms of my schedule here), but I managed to sneak in a trip to the knitting club between 2 classes. It was just my friend and 2 other girls sitting in the Management school cafeteria knitting. It was fun though, but since it meant I had my knitting with me, I ended up knitting a bit in my next lecture as well.

Friday and the rest of the weekend was pretty boring because I didn't even try to go anywhere because I still wasn't feeling particularly great. The best I could manage was going to the grocery stores on campus to stock up on food and cough drops.

Since I don't have any classes on Monday (Oct 25), I decided to sleep in, and had the lovely experience of being woken up by the fire alarm going off (they test it every Monday). That evening I went to another meeting for LUPS (Lancaster University Photographic Society), and it was a presentation given by one of my flatmates' friends about all kinds of ways to take better photos. It covered really basic things (for the beginners), as well as some more advanced things, and a bit about how cameras and lenses actually work. It was easy to understand, and pretty interesting, so I quite enjoyed it.

Tuesday I had my regular classes again, and Wednesday I had a seminar bright and early at 9 am. The tutor talked and talked and talked, and kept us late, so I was freaking out that I was going to be really late for my class that was starting across campus right now. I rushed over there and found out that that lecture was only for the first 2 weeks of class, and now we will have workshops that meet on Fridays for the rest of the term.

After I came home, I sat around in the living room, knitting and waiting for my groceries to arrive (I had ordered them online). I got them, and everything turned out well, so I'll probably order them online again just because it's so convenient! Since I finally had cleaning products, and Stef had gone off to Edinburgh for a couple days, I managed to get motivated enough to clean our bathroom so it was nice and sparkly. That evening I kept knitting and knitting until all my projects were finished, mostly because I didn't want to do my homework.

On Thursday, I decided to wear a dress that I had made, and people (housemates) kept commenting on how dressed up I looked. I didn't go anywhere though. I still had a cough, so I was only going to class. There was a show at (smelly) Sugarhouse that night that a lot of people were going to, but it was just as well that I decided against buying tickets because I had an assignment due the next day that I hadn't started, so I stayed up that night to finish it.

On Friday, I spent a while running around trying to figure out whether I had everything that I needed to hand my assignment in, and then I printed it out from the library (I had been meaning to go get a printer but I hadn't gotten around to it) and handed it in. That evening, I may have gone out if I had found someone to go with, but I ended up just going two houses over to hang out with my friend and watch TV on her couch with some of her housemates. She was busy making herself a tutu to wear for her Halloween costume, and it turned out really well. We watched a few random shows, and then most of Saw IV, which was really gory, and a little hard to follow right at the end (I think we had missed some key bit of the plot at the beginning).

Next - Halloween and week 4.

1 comment: