Friday, December 3, 2010

More school prep

I'm going to try and keep this compact, because I don't have much in the way of photos. I slept in on Wednesday morning, and tried to write some things for the blog before I got going. Honestly, I didn't do much on Wednesday, so I'll skip ahead to the activities of the evening.

There was a sort of reception for the international students that evening that I went to with some of the international girls that I know. There was free food (some drinks and English pot pies), and it was pretty tasty. After a bit of a welcome, some of the clubs started doing performances. There was a cheerleading team (they looked pretty sad in comparison to Western's team), a parkour society (not hugely impressive), and a dance society (tons of small performances, skill level all over the map and went for waaaay too long). It was supposed to go until about 11:30 pm, but we decided to leave at about 9:00 because it wasn't super interesting.

At home, some of my flatmates showed me videos about cheese rolling (absolutely hilarious), and then we watched a couple episodes of British television (Peep Show and The Inbetweeners). Both were really funny.


On Thursday, I realized that there were some things that I needed to sort out with my courses, so I spent a lot of time trying to get that worked out, and I had to switch one of my classes because they changed the schedule at the last minute so that it conflicted with another one of my courses. I also wanted to go to the Freshers' Fair that was all about the different clubs and societies on campus, but the queue was huge! I went back later, but it was still so hot and crowded that I didn't feel like staying long enough to sign up for anything.

That evening I went out with a few flatmates and friends. 3 of the guys were sort of dressed up as Where's Waldo (ie, they wore white shirts that they had painted with red stripes [that had to be dried in the oven so that they would be wearable]). We went around campus a bit, and then headed out to the same club I had been to on Monday night. It was all fun times.

This is a crappy photo, but I love it because we all look like we're having such a great time!


On Friday, I spent a good deal more time trying to sort out my courses (for some reason, I still couldn't get enrolled in any seminars or workshops), and eventually found a lecturer that told me I should wait until after the weekend to see if it would sort itself out.

I went with the American girls to the second Freshers' Fair. It was all about different businesses around Lancaster, and they handed out a lot of free things (mostly pamphlets, but also bibles, bottle openers beer and pizza). Then we actually went into town in hopes of getting phones. We couldn't get a very good deal at the first two places we went to, so then we went into this homewares/department store, and spent a while there. We didn't realize that everything in town closes at 5:30 on Fridays, so after we were done in that store, we couldn't get phones because the shops were closed. We ended up going to the grocery store instead.

Freshers' fair loot. Including a bible, bottle openers, and candy. Not pictured - the beer.


That evening, we wanted to go out somewhere, and the guys told us that we could come with them, but they ended up leaving pretty early and were not seen or heard from again, so we were on our own. There were 5 of us, and we stayed in my flat for a while before we decided to see if anything was happening at the bars on campus. We ended up going to a foam party at the college that 2 of the girls were from, but I didn't enjoy all the foam much, so I left early and met up with them as they were coming home.

On Saturday, the girls and I decided that we were going to go to the market in town (and try to get some phones!). First we stopped at a store on campus to buy some tickets to the bar that it sounded like everyone was going to that night (one of the guys who had been sleeping on the couch in my flat [yeah, there were 2 guys there] had said that a bunch of them were going to the Sugarhouse, so we decided we would too).

We went into town and saw the market (it was cute!), and finally got phones! We shopped around until everything was closing up (5:30! Why so early?), and then went home. That night the girls and I went to a party with a couple of my flatmates, and then headed to the bar. We had fun (even though the place smells), but we packed it up pretty early since we were going on a tour of the Lake District on Sunday. We did make sure to stop for some greasy food before we went home.

Next - Tour of the Lake District!

1 comment: