Thursday, December 2, 2010

Freshers' Week Orientations

**This is where my posts start to have very few photos because I just wasn't taking any!**


So I woke up pretty early, and my bathroom-mate and I decided to see if we could find a way to access the Internet (they make it very difficult at Lancaster). We headed off to the Library where registration was supposed to be happening that day, but they said we needed to go to University House. Went there, and they sent us off again. No one wanted to give us a temporary username and password, so we just gave up and hoped that that would be one of the things that they would be taking care of during the orientation session that day.

We headed to the session once we figured out where it was (turned out it was right beside our college), and they started talking to us. Most of it wasn't super helpful, it was just an introduction to the Study Abroad Programme officer and and the Students' Union before we took a break. I got to meet some of my flatmates friends that she had been backpacking with, and one of them was flatmates with a girl from my school. After the break, it was more general information about the colleges and international student support, but we also got to hear a neat little presentation from a historian about some of the interesting things in Lancaster (the town).

At my lunch break, I headed off on my own, and mostly just wandered around the campus, seeing what was there. I got a little bag that had a mug and a mouse pad in it from the university travel agent, and hung around in my kitchen for a while in the hopes of meeting some more flatmates.

View from my bedroom window.


After lunch, they finally started telling us helpful things about course registration, and coursework in general before we finished to have some refreshments in the foyer.

After that, the group of girls I was with decided to head off to get Internet access and try to choose their courses, so I went with them. We got study plans from the International office, and temporary log on information from the ISS desk, then headed to the library to use their computers. I felt like I had already figured out my courses, so I just checked email, and Facebook, and then waited around for the rest of them for a while.

I left before they had all finished and walked around a bit before I headed home. I didn't do too much other than meet some flatmates and chat with them for most of the rest of the evening, but then a few extra people came over, and we all piled into a cab and headed off to a bar in Lancaster. I'm pretty sure I actually broke the door handle in the cab because I'm just that strong.

I was with 3 flatmates (all guys), and 3 of their friends (2 girls and 1 guy). The club was loud, and it got really hot in there. There were mirrors on the walls that were just completely fogged up because it was so sweaty. It was fun, but it was pretty intense. My ears were ringing for a long time afterwards.

Even thought I had gone to bed late, I woke up with the sunshine bright and early at 8 am. I headed off to course registration, and it went pretty smoothly, so I was done quickly, and decided to go shopping for some household supplies before I came back home. I went to the second hand shop and bought some hangers, pots, cutlery, plates and bowl, and took them all home before I went to sign up for a final course. After I came home from that, I took a big long nap until it was time to go register for the Internet and get my library card. Then I came home and chatted with some flatmates before finally going to buy some groceries. While I was out, 2 of my flatmates cleaned up a bunch in the kitchen (it was already getting pretty gross). The night before, someone had smashed a plate full of spaghetti onto the floor by knocking it off a shelf, but it wasn't the guy who owned the spaghetti, so no one knows who it was.

I set up my Internet connection, and chatted with some flatmates. The German guy was going out to the pub golf event for freshers (it's where you bar hop and have to drink a certain drink in a certain number of gulps at each bar), so I went with him. We met up with another flatmate at one of the bars, and I saw one of the girls I had met on my first day. We made it all the way back to our college's bar, and I chatted with some people before I decided to pack it in for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment