Wednesday, February 16, 2011

York and Week 6

**I know this is so incredibly late! I'm going to work at trying to catch up a little! I have been recording things, I just haven't been turning them into blog posts!**


I got up early on Saturday morning (Nov 13), and headed off to the bus stop to find the bus that would take me to York. The trip took longer than I was expecting, but it gave me more time to sleep on the bus.

When we got dropped off downtown, I really had no plans about what to do, so I started my day by heading to the Art Gallery since we were almost right beside it. It was a decent Art Gallery, they had an interesting display of hats on, as well as some nice old paintings.

The Art Gallery.


The only thing that was really on my to-do list was to check out the cathedral, so I headed there next, but I didn't go in because it looked like there was some kind of mass going on or something (I was too chicken).

Part of the cathedral.


Since I had no other plans, I just decided to start wandering about to check out the stores in the area. I ended up doing quite a bit of shopping without really buying anything (just some postcards). I found an adorable craft shop called "Duttons for Buttons" in an old building. It had 3 floors, and was packed with yarn, and sewing notions, and all kinds of things. I found a really neat vintage clothing store that had some fantastic old dresses, and a couple antique stores. One of them was quite big and had all different kinds of lovely things for a variety of vendors. I also stumbled upon a Christmas sale that was in a really neat old building, and had fun looking through there. I also checked out the market, and got myself a baked potato (jacket potato) for lunch.

 Duttons for Buttons.

Christmas Market.


After that, I walked around the walls of the city and got a few decent photos. I decided to go back to the cathedral after that, but by the time I finally got in there, it was already dark outside, so it was a bit harder to see. The cathedral was really beautiful in the relative dark (it gave it a slightly spooky feel), but I'd like to go back and see it in the daylight. Their choir was singing for an evening mass (or something...) while I was there, so that added a nice touch to the atmosphere.

Outside the cathedral.

On the walk around the city walls.

On the wall.

Back at the cathedral, with the moon.

Inside the cathedral.

Playing with long exposures in the cathedral (see the feet?).


The ride home was interesting. The windows of the bus kept fogging up, and apparently the bus driver had no way to prevent it, so he had to keep pulling over to the side of the road in order to wipe down the windshield. He did it 5 times, so it made for a pretty long trip back.

When I got home, Alex and Mitch and a bunch of their friends were watching movies with the projector. I had some dinner (even though it was quite late), and then I got ready to go out with a couple of my housemates (Stef didn't want to come because she was too tired from her adventures in London).

It was a fun, but strange night out. It started when we let 3 older grad students share a cab with us (we had asked for a 4 seater, but they sent us an 8 seater, so we had space). The guys were from all over the place and I think the youngest one said he was 29. We thought they were a little weird, but then they ended up paying for the whole cab (even though we had had to stop and wait for 2 different girls), so it worked out.

The night was pretty fun, we ran into another flatmate (Matt) at Sugarhouse, but by the end of the night, one of the girls was sick. I came back home with one of my flatmates (Munashe) and her friend, and we stopped at Pizzetta to get some food. As we were walking back to the house, and just as we reached the uncovered path, it started pissing down rain. We were a little wet by the time we got home.

Munashe and I sat talking and eating in the kitchen for a while, and then Uli got back from his night out. A few minutes later, Matt showed up too, so we all sat around the table talking for a while. Munashe and I found it highly entertaining, since the boys were quite drunk, and we were both sober.

I had a lazy day on Sunday since I had gone to bed so late. In the evening, I decided to clean, organize and decorate my room while the boys had a poker night downstairs. I put up all my postcards from my travels on my wall, and I finished my drawing.

Finished sketch.


On Monday (Nov 15) I finally went and asked the travel agency when we were supposed to leave for the Ireland trip I had signed up for because I had only just realized that I was supposed to have a test at 2 pm that day. They told me early in the morning, so I decided I needed to try and talk to my lecturer ASAP to get it moved.

The LUPS meeting that evening was basically a fail. It was very much like the light trails/long exposure meeting, except that we were outside in the cold, and the people in charge didn't have much of a plan. We basically wandered aimlessly for a bit, then split into 2 groups. I ended up at a playground, and I didn't feel like taking any photos because I didn't have a tripod, so I just went home.

Ash tried to get some episodes of Arrested Development playing for a few of us in the kitchen, but they wouldn't work properly (they would get to a point and just stop), so we ended up watching some other television shows like Breaking Bad and Curb Your Enthusiasm before we ended up watching Scott Pilgrim versus the World.

On Tuesday morning, I either slept through my alarm or it never went off. I woke up at 9:18, and decided it was too late for me to head to my 9:00 seminar on the other side of campus, so I just got up and went downstairs. I chatted with Alex for a while and he suggested we make pancakes before retracting the offer and saying we should make them on Wednesday instead. I went to my boring class that afternoon and then went to the book store to see if they had the Marketing textbook I needed. They did, but I decided to request it from the library instead of buying it.

That evening I was really hyper. I didn't want to do work, and I had too much energy. I sat in the kitchen for quite a while, even while Claudia and Kevin were sitting down there trying to work. I was ready for mischief, but no one else was. Finally Stef came down, and when she found out that Claudia had Save the Last Dance we all decided to watch it (but not before heading to Central to buy some junk food). After the three of us girls finished watching it, Ash and Alex came down and chatted for a while. I was super giggly, and since it was pretty late, I decided to pack it in.

On Wednesday, I got up early and headed off to the only class on my schedule and it turned out that it was cancelled, apparently because the teacher was sick. He had also been sick the day before, so I got off lucky because it meant that I ended up not missing class like I had thought I did. I came home and then Stef and I caught the noon bus to town. We shopped around a little bit and looked for things we could use for the costumes we were hoping to wear during week 8 (we were going to be nurses). I got a photo frame for the sketch I did so that I could display it on my shelf, and then we got our groceries. We ended up missing the bus because we had thought there would be one at 3:35, but it turned out that the hour between 3&4 is the hour that they don't have a bus come. We waited for quite a while before we gave up and paid money to take a city bus back to campus.

We got home and I got myself some food and then went to meet Claudia and her friends before their choir practice. I also tried to visit my lecturer to see if I would be able to reschedule my exam, but he wasn't in during the office hours he claimed to have, so I gave up after I had checked a couple times. Then I went to choir practice with Claudia and her friends. Claudia said I had to join in or else the conductor would think I was weird, so I joined in (trying) to sing Christmas carols as they were learning them. It was hard because I wasn't good (and they also had some really complicated harmonies), but it was fun. After I got home, I relocated my computer into the lounge and sat there for hours without seeing much of anyone. I might as well have been in my room.

On Thursday morning, I went to my class and ended up finding a partner for a project that I was going to have to do in another class. I went to my Marketing lecture, and I talked to the prof and he said that he was trying to find another time I could write the exam (yay!). In my final class, the crazy old man was back from his sick leave, and as per usual, we didn't get much done. That evening I watched some episodes of television shows (Dexter and Friday Night Lights) and then I started watching In Bruges with some of the guys. The guys all ended up leaving, so I finished watching it by myself. It was pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment