Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Seeing England and more from School

On Sunday (Oct 10), I took a tour of the Lake District. We got onto 4 buses, and headed off. I ended up sitting next to a girl from Michigan, so I had a pretty good conversation with her.

We went to Bowness first. It was home to the World of Beatrix Potter attraction, but I didn't end up getting there as I ended up taking a boat tour of part of the lake, and then shopped a bit and looked for food with the American girls I was with. We did stop by a store that sold Beatrix Potter themed things, and I bought myself some little stickers with my name on them (it's funny to have a name that's common here, because my name really isn't very common in Canada!).

Photos from the Boat tour:




Hello, duck! (Just kidding, I know it's not a duck.)


After Bowness, we headed off to Ambleside. We didn't spend a whole lot of time there, and there wasn't a ton to do, so I spent most of my time trying to get some food. I ended up getting some fish and chips, which were decent, but definitely could have been better.

Park in Grasmere.


After Ambleside, we went to Grasmere, and we got to see William Wordsworth's grave. It was a neat little town, and the scenery around it was absolutely beautiful! There were lots of sheep, and everything felt very British.



I thought this sheep's butt looked like a panda bear, and I like panda bears, so I had to get a photo.

See? Panda butt.

Wordsworth family graves.


The ride back home, I spent trying to stay awake. I was exhausted, but the scenery was so beautiful that I was trying my hardest to see it. The sun was starting to set at that point, and we were driving through actual hills (with lots of sheep), and everything was just incredibly picturesque.

After we got home (after stopping to get food at the grocery store), I got fed some chili by one of my flatmates (he had made some for him and his friends), and after that, I ended up watching The Hangover with a bunch of the guys. It was a funny movie!

On Monday, it was the first day of school, but I didn't have any Monday classes, so I got to chill at home. I was happy about that though, since it was Canadian Thanksgiving, so I felt like it was supposed to be a holiday anyway. I really didn't do anything, I didn't even scrounge up any kind of remotely Thanksgivingish food to eat.

On Tuesday, I had my first 2 classes. They went fine, but I could barely stay awake through the second one (I resorted to doodling just so that I wouldn't fall asleep). Tuesday evening, I went to a meeting for the Photography Society which I decided to join (a couple of my flatmates have been pretty involved with them for the past few years). They're a pretty intense group. I feel like I don't have nearly enough experience to be wielding the kind of insane camera I have. That was part of why I thought I should join, so that I can learn to take better photos! I also got to see the dark room that the Photography Society has, which was pretty cool (too bad I don't have a film camera so that I could actually learn to use it!).

On Wednesday, I had some more classes, one of which was a seminar that our tutor decided would have to be switched to another time because she had a conflict with it and something else (yes, they really are that disorganized here!). That evening, two of the American girls and I decided that we needed to try going to The Carleton. What a mess!! It took us forever to figure out where to catch the free bus that actually goes to the bar, and then we had to stand in a HUGE queue waiting to get in! Plus, The Carleton is known for being absolutely terrible (you're only supposed to go there if you're COMPLETELY wasted), so it pretty much was. The music was bad, the floor was slippery, there were bottles everywhere, and (as expected) everyone was WASTED. We left relatively early.

After we got back home, my American flatmate and I ended up talking to one of our other flatmates until very late. I ended up going to bed incredibly late, and even though I didn't have to get up before noon, for some reason couldn't sleep after 9 am.

I went to the 3 hours of class I had on Thursday afternoon, and was surprisingly not tired. Then I went almost straight to the first meeting of the belly dancing society with two of my friends. It was free to try for the first session, so we got a belly dancing lesson, which was pretty fun. We decided not to sign up for it though because it was more pricey than what we wanted to pay.

After that, I went to a social for the Photography Society. That was when I really started to crash. I met a few people, but then the fire alarm went off in the bar, and I just decided to head home and go to bed early.

I slept for a good 11 hours or so, but when I woke up on Friday, I could tell that I had caught some kind of bug because my nose was running. I went to my first lecture, and then came home and went back to sleep, except I had to get up for a fire alarm. I slept until I had to get ready for my next class, and then headed out. I got to the room and there were only 5 other kids there. We waited for a couple minutes and then realized that our workshop doesn't start until week 3, so we didn't need to be there.

The rest of the day, I spent chilling out and resting. I would have liked to go out with my flatmates when they went out that night, but I knew that I needed rest, so I sent the on their way, and went to bed.

I slept for a good 12 hours, but still didn't feel well on Saturday. I made my way to town so that I could find some lotion-filled tissues, and get some groceries. I started a knitting project that evening, and a few people ended up staying in to drink, so I just spent the evening hanging out with them in the kitchen until far too late.

I tried to get up at noon on Sunday (Oct 17), but ended up crawling back into bed for about 2 more hours. Didn't manage to do much other than knit and eat, and try to feel healthy again.

On Monday, I woke up really late again, and finally managed to get out of the house to grab some groceries (lots of juice and some tea!). That was pretty much all I managed to do though.

On Tuesday, I went to my usual classes, and in the evening went to another meeting of the Photography Society, but this time with one of my American friends (who happens to be a Photography major back at home). The theme of the meeting was light trails and long exposures, so we got to try out some interesting techniques that I hadn't tried before. It was pretty fun.

Crazy light trail.

Next - The rest of week 2, and onto week 3.

1 comment:

  1. Love the sheep!

    Sorry to hear you're not well, get well soon!

    ReplyDelete