Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Last Day in Copenhagen

**Warning, this post contains photos of delicious food. Don't read it if you're afraid it will make you hungry!**

On my last day, I decided that I had seen quite a bit, so I didn't need to get up early. I slept fairly late, and then got ready slowly, and didn't head out until about noon. Everyone who had been in my room checked out, so by the time I was ready to go, there was no one else in my room!!

This is looking towards the door. I was on the bottom bed of the bunk that I was standing behind to take this photo. 9 beds in a tiny little room!


First I went to the Royal Palace. I didn't explore the area in great detail, just because I've been seeing and doing so much, that my brain's starting to get a little overloaded. I went to the stables and met the funniest horse. I went up to his stall, and he looked me in the eye. I held out my hand, and he sniffed it and bit and then immediately turned and pressed his side up against the gate so I could rub his neck and back. I loved the fact that he was communicating with me so clearly!! I went around to a couple other horses, and then back to my friend, and he did the same thing again! I patted him for a while, and my fingers turned pretty black from the dirt, but luckily there was a bathroom right by for me to wash up.

The palace.

My horsey friend. See how he stood next to the gate for me?

Dirty fingers from an apparently dirty horse!


Next I headed off to Christiana. On the way there, I saw a little flea market which was pretty cool.

Christiana is a really interesting little place. It's its own municipality within the city of Copenhagen, and it's a pretty hippie place. They had lots of neat little booths selling interesting clothing and jewelry and things, but I refrained from buying anything.



After that, I decided to find out what Charlottenborg was. I'm still not quite sure. It was kind of an art gallery? I didn't feel like going into the exhibit, so I walked outside and realized that I was right beside where the canal tours start. I thought "Why not?" and bought a ticket and hopped on the boat. It was pretty cool. As in both interesting and cold. It was really cold and windy out on the water, but I got to hear and see some neat things that I would not have otherwise. Unfortunately, the Little Mermaid statue is currently in Shanghai, so there was nothing to see there. I was glad I hadn't tried to walk to it, because that would have been an awfully long and disappointing journey.

At Charlottenborg. How many times can you spot my name in this photo?



The tour did give me a good view of  the Theatre and the Opera House, and I learned a little about a couple of the buildings that I would not have known otherwise. It started right near where Hans Christian Andersen lived, and I wouldn't have know that if I hadn't gone on the tour!



Hans Christian Andersen's home.


After the boat ride, I grabbed some fresh roasted almonds, and then checked out a little markety thing nearby. There were lots of neat little food booths, and I bought myself a huge cinnamon cookie. Then I kept walking and found a little fruit stand, so I bought some Danish strawberries. They were so amazingly good!! They were so shiny and red that they looked like plastic, and they were sweet and juicy to back it up. Yum!!

And I don't have little hands!

The most beautiful and delicious strawberries I've ever eaten.



I made my way slowly back to the hostel and took a bit of a break before I decided to head back out for my last Danish supper. I walked all the way back to the area by Tivoli, and got myself a proper Danish hot dog from a vendor there. She was really nice too! She asked me where I was from and was telling me what I should have to make it a proper Danish hot dog. It was so good too! Danish hotdogs are bright red, too long for the buns, and only properly topped when they have ketchup, mustard, remoulade, fried and raw onions and pickles. It was incredibly difficult to eat, and I lost some toppings along the way, but it was totally worth it!

Danish hot dog, YUM!


I topped my dinner off with a slurpee that seemed to be honeydew flavoured or something random like that, and then I headed back to the hostel, and got some of this blogging stuff taken care of before I went to bed.

I was just starting to really enjoy Copenhagen (and not suffer through sore legs everyday!)! Too bad my time was up!

1 comment:

  1. Omg that food has me drooling... hahahaha.

    Also, HANS CHRISTIAN ANDERSEN. <3 I bought a huge leatherbound collection of his works this summer. So worth it.

    ReplyDelete