Saturday, September 25, 2010

To Denmark I go

So I checked onto the ferry, which turned out to be more of a cruise ship than a ferry, and got comfortable in my room. I took advantage of the free internet, and then when I thought the ship had started moving, I headed up on deck with my camera to take some farewell photos of Oslo.

My room! (There really wasn't much else other than the bathroom.)


Bye Oslo!




After that I explored a little. There were a whole bunch of different restaurants on board, and a big store filled with clothing, perfume, make-up, booze and candy/junk food. And most of it was super excessive. Like HUGE packs of candy and MASSIVE cases of booze. And they didn't really have anything touristy which was kind of what I was hoping for. You know, the cheesy tourist crap that has the country's flag emblazoned across it 40 times? Nothing of Norway or Denmark (though I'm pretty sure that ferry is a Denmark thing, not Norway).

Part of the shop.


I mostly hung around in my room after I got some food, until I thought that it was probably sunset time. Then I headed out on deck, even though it was cold and windy and snapped photos of the sunset like mad!!







So for real, I was in love with every picture I took. It was hard to narrow down.


After that, I took advantage of the Internet some more, and then I crashed pretty early (10:30ish?). I got up fairly early as well to go to the breakfast buffet (decent, but I had been hoping for more sweet things like pancakes/waffles), and then buy some Danish money from the exchange desk.

When we landed in Copenhagen, I decided I would walk to my hostel because it was not even 10, and even though my hostel was really far, I couldn't check in until 1. I started walking, decided I was going the wrong way and went back before I decided that I had been right the first time.

Good morning Denmark!

Copenhagen!


Along my walk, I got to see a few things, and I stopped a few times (it's hard carrying such a huge, heavy backpack!!). By the time I got to my hostel, it was only about 12:30, but I was so exhausted that I didn't care if I had to sit on a step waiting to get in, I just needed a break. Google maps says I walked about 5 km, and I figure I was carrying about 30-35 pounds worth of bags, so I was reeeeeeally tired.

Some park. I think it's close to the Little Mermaid statue.


Rosenborg castle.

The building with my hostel (the windows with the blue cards are where my hostel is. I'm not sure what the rest of the building is.


After I put my stuff in my room, I decided to go explore a bit and look for food. I found a couple vintage shops nearby, and bought some food at a grocery store before deciding I was way too tired to do anything else. I came back to the hostel and sat in front of my computer until I had mustered up enough willpower to get going again.

Apparently this place cuts Ricky Martin and Nick Carter's hair because that's who was on their sign. LOL.


When I had had enough of a break, I just decided to start walking, and see what I could see. I walked and walked and walked some more, and got to know where a few things were downtown. I found a huge (6 story?) department store called Magasin (I thought it would be a mall because calling a store the French word for store just seemed way too literal for me), and bought myself a facecloth. I even got a 10% discount by showing my passport (not like that makes much of a difference on something that costs ~$4).

I thought this was funny. What a resounding endorsement of their beer!


The best part about this was not that it was Toy Story, or that it was made out of Lego. The best part was that my camera's facial detection recognized his face!!


I walked a bit more before I decided to go back to the hostel, and then I crashed at about 8 pm. I actually just came back from my walkabout and crawled straight into bed. I was so tired and sore from all the walking and backpack-carrying that I didn't get up until 8 am. Yay for sleep!

Next up - Adventures in Copenhagen!

No comments:

Post a Comment