Monday, October 11, 2010

Farewell Denmark, Hello Sweden!

I managed to wake myself up at about 6:30 am Sunday, and got myself up by about 6:50. I checked out, and was hoping to take the bus to the train station rather than make the 30 minute walk with my big bag, but it turned out I had just missed the 7:30 bus, so it would be at least as fast if I just walked.

I hopped on the train that was headed to Malmo, and I got there at about 9. I headed out almost straight away to find the Turning Torso (Scandinavia's tallest building). I walked and walked, and I could see the building in the distance, but it felt like a mirage that was never getting any closer! Finally I turned a corner, and I could see the whole thing, and I eventually made it all the way there. It was a really cool building. After that, I headed back to the train station to grab some food and reserve a ticket for the night train to Stockholm.

Turning Torso.




I explored the area around the train station a little, and then I called Kaycie to warn her that I was going to be on a train heading to Ystad very shortly. Kaycie is 4 years younger than me, but I know her from high school, and she's on an exchange in a little town called Ystad, so I decided it would be neat to go visit her and see the town! Before I left Malmo, I bought myself a sandwich that I'm pretty sure was made with the liver spread stuff that's popular in this part of the world.



I got to Ystad and had a lovely little visit with Kaycie as she gave me a tour around the town. It was nice to have a tour guide, and the town was adorable! She's a lucky girl to get to be there! We saw the old churches, the theatre, the park, the harbour, the school, and lots of adorable little houses. She introduced me to Swedish candy (there were a couple stores there with a FANTASTIC selection of candy), and we had fika (a fika? Kaycie says it best translates to coffee date, but can have a wide variety of meanings) at a little coffee shop.

Inside one of the churches.

Kaycie's school.

Train and bus station.

View from the dock.



When she had to go home for dinner, I explored a little more and grabbed a Peanut Butter Cookie Dough ice cream bar as I was waiting for the train. We had been talking about peanut butter and ice cream, so it sounded especially good right about then. I was really glad I stopped for that little visit! Ystad was such a cute little town, and I would never have seen it if I didn't know someone who was there!

In Ystad.

Random, cute house.



I headed back to Malmo, and started looking for a restaurant. Kaycie had said that Max had good food (especially fries), so when I saw one, I decided to go in. I got a falafel burger with fries and it was delicious! Then I found out that they have free wireless internet here, so I stuck around to take advantage of it. All of this so far has been written at the Max.

After I left the Max, I just went to the train station and got my backpack out of a locker then hung around until my train was ready to leave.

I was in a sleeper cabin because that's apparently all that the train had. It was a 6 bed room with a bunch of strangers, but I slept better than I would have in a chair. We got into Stockholm at 6 am, and I'll continue the story next post.

Google Translate says that this sign says that you ARE allowed to flush the toilet while the train is standing in the station. But it still makes me think of that song.

2 comments:

  1. I was missing you so went back and looked up this blog address again! Looks like you are having a lot of fun! :) Great pictures!!!

    Miss You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow looks like you are having lots of great adventures!

    ReplyDelete