Monday, February 21, 2011

Term 1 Draws to a Close

On Friday (December 10), I headed to my morning lecture, and sat there for about 15 minutes before everyone who had shown up decided that the lecturer wasn’t coming so we should leave. That night there were a bunch of us going to a Christmas-themed dress-up party, so Stef and I spent most of the afternoon making ourselves cardboard angel wings for our costumes.

We went out to a house party first that night, and then we headed off to Sugarhouse. It was pretty awkward trying to get around Sugarhouse with our big old wings, so once we found a relatively unpopulated area, we just stayed there for the evening (even though the music in the other room was better). Afterwards we decided to go for some food, and I got some really cheap chips and cheese. We tried to get onto the bus that was going back to campus, and we got told that we weren’t allowed to take any food on with us. We had to eat it all as fast as we could so that we could get on the next bus because it was cold, and we weren’t dressed very warmly.

Stef and me in our angel costumes.


The next morning I got up for breakfast, and Kevin decided to put on the movie “Easy A” on the projector, so I sat down and watched it. I thought it was quite a good movie. That evening, I went to visit Char two doors down because her and her housemates were going to play some board games, and Stef and I had been invited. Stef didn’t end up coming because she had gotten food poisoning or something and wasn’t feeling well. The board games were really fun though. We played Pictionary, went to the porter to try and find some other games, then played Cluedo (Clue) twice, and Pictionary again (when some of the other options weren’t looking very feasible). It was a pretty fun evening, and I stayed there really late even though I had originally been planning on coming home early.

On Sunday, I had a pretty lazy morning (because I slept through it), and afternoon. That evening though, there was the Christmas dinner for the PhotoSoc. Three of Alex’s friends came to our house to meet up and catch a bus into town, so I tagged along with them to the dinner. The dinner was really good. I had crabcakes as an appetizer, and duck for the main course. We got Christmas crackers, and I managed to get pegged straight in the middle of the forehead by an errant springing frog prize. It was an unbelievably perfect accidental shot from halfway down the table. After the dinner, we headed to a pub for some more visiting time. I didn’t stay for a particularly long time and headed home when some other people were going home.

PhotoSoc dinner (Photo by Jonny). That's me in the middle.


On Monday we had the last meeting of the term for the PhotoSoc. It was mostly just to pick a winner for the disposable camera competition that they had been running, and Alex ended up winning the prize. After it was done, I rushed off to the Christmas service at the chapel so that I would be able to see Claudia’s choir performing. One of my other flatmates was in one of the other choirs, so I got to see her as well. There were some cookies and other treats after the service was over, so I ate a bunch of those and then headed home. Somehow in the hour between PhotoSoc and me arriving home, Alex had completely forgotten that I had even been at the meeting even though I had been sitting right in front of him. That night some of the guys watched The Social Network in our lounge. I watched a bit of it, but since I had already seen it, I ended up leaving partway through.

On Tuesday not much of not happened except for the fact that the guys had another movie night in our kitchen. They watched Thank you for Smoking, and I watched part of it while I was eating dinner, but that was about it.

On Wednesday (December 15), Stef and I had decided to go to town together. We were planning on having a house dinner that evening that we needed to buy groceries for, and I had to return the fitted sheet I had bought the week before because it was too small to fit my bed. I was going to meet Stef at the bus stop but right as I was getting ready to leave the house, I got a text from Stef saying that the bus was leaving! It was 10 minutes from when the bus was supposed to leave and the bus usually leaves late, so I thought she might just be exaggerating. Apparently not. She texted me again to say that the bus was doing a loop around the campus and had stopped at the main bus stop, so I should try to run and see if I could get it. I didn’t make it, so I had to pay for a bus ticket (*gasp* no free bus for me), and I met her in town.

We went shopping at a bunch of different places for all kinds of different things (Christmas presents and whatnot). I bought all the groceries that we would need for supper, and then we caught the free bus home and started preparing the dinner – sloppy joes!

Stef and I were the only ones in the house that really knew what sloppy joes were, and since Stef is a vegetarian, we had to substitute some kidney beans for her meat. Claudia, Alex, Mitch, Kevin and Duc all came to dinner, and we had some delicious sloppy joes, salad and apple crumble, and it was just a nice bonding experience all around.

Sloppy Joe dinner!


That night I needed to prepare for a presentation I had to give in my French class the next day. Instead of doing that, I ended up visiting with Stef for a while, so I had to get up early on Thursday to finish preparing it.

My Thursday morning presentation went fine, it wasn’t great, but I didn’t expect it to be because I hardly put any effort into it. After that, I met up with someone that I was doing a group project with, and then the rest of the day was easy, especially because we got out of our Marketing lecture early since half of it ended up basically just being review. Then they also told us that the next morning’s lecture was cancelled!

Next - My last day in Lancaster and some good-byes and parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment